While I’m in Calgary for When Words Collide, I’ll be leading a writing workshop. In preparation for that workshop (and just as a useful reference), here are some books I think are useful for fiction writers. (Since the workshop is in Canada, all links will be to Amazon Canada…but by all means, order from your favourite bookseller, whoever that may be.)
- On Writing by Stephen King
- All kinds of good inspirational stuff from Stephen King
- Steering the Craft by Ursula K. Le Guin
- The best book I know for writers who are past the beginning stage and are ready to work on specific skills. I think I own three copies.
- The Deluxe Transitive Vampire by Karen Elizabeth Gordon
- My favourite book on grammar and punctuation…mostly because it’s funny, but it’s also quite useful.
- About Writing by Samuel R. Delany
- Writing advice by one of the most literary masters of science fiction
Also have a look at The Skill List Project, a series I wrote several years ago about all the skills I think are involved in writing fiction.